- 1 What culture mythology is filled with references to the healing power of music?
- 2 Can musical themes represent real or fictional characters?
- 3 Is structure a crucial aspect of music?
- 4 Do musical associations remained fixed in time?
- 5 Do all world music traditions make a distinction between composer and performer?
- 6 What are the short segments played by the piano alone?
- 7 What does leitmotif mean?
- 8 What is a repeated melody called?
- 9 What is a Cadential point?
- 10 What are the 4 types of musical form?
- 11 Why is structure important in music?
- 12 What are the three basic structural elements of musical form?
- 13 What are the 12 elements of music?
- 14 What instrument plays this Example 5 37?
- 15 What is a musical thought?
What culture mythology is filled with references to the healing power of music?
Greek mythology and Greek philosophers created an interesting discussion of the power of music and how it can be used as a healing tool.
Can musical themes represent real or fictional characters?
Musical themes cannot represent real or fictional characters.
Is structure a crucial aspect of music?
Structure is not a crucial aspect of music. Form is a way of defining the organization of a piece of music.
Do musical associations remained fixed in time?
Musical associations remained fixed in time. Musical connotation happens when music is associated with extra- musical events or experiences. Musical connotation is reinforced by the use of certain instruments. Music’s main power is its ability to symbolize an era of society or culture.
Do all world music traditions make a distinction between composer and performer?
All world music traditions make a distinction between composer and performer. A music score contains: The written notation of a music composition. Great performers possess outstanding technique but may not have deep musical understanding.
What are the short segments played by the piano alone?
Calculate the Price
|short segments played by piano alone||riffs|
|A rest symbol indicates:||period of silence|
|In the Western music tradition, a note symbol (i.e., its shape) indicates both duration and pitch.||False, only duration|
|Time values are expressed in absolute terms||False; only relative terms|
What does leitmotif mean?
1: an associated melodic phrase or figure that accompanies the reappearance of an idea, person, or situation especially in a Wagnerian music drama. 2: a dominant recurring theme.
What is a repeated melody called?
In jazz and other popular music, repeated melodies are often called “riffs”, “hooks”, and “lines”. These terms are used interchangeably to describe entire melodies, or simply short, repeated phrases (the term for which in classical music is “ostinato”).
What is a Cadential point?
Cadential Point. Brings the musical phrase to a resting point or pause. Absolute Music/Program Music.
What are the 4 types of musical form?
Four basic types of musical forms are distinguished in ethnomusicology: iterative, the same phrase repeated over and over; reverting, with the restatement of a phrase after a contrasting one; strophic, a larger melodic entity repeated over and over to different strophes (stanzas) of a poetic text; and progressive, in
Why is structure important in music?
Composers use structure to shape and give balance to their music. Like the other musical elements, certain musical structures were used in different musical periods. For example, binary form was mainly used in Baroque dances, and sonata form was used mainly in the Classical period.
What are the three basic structural elements of musical form?
Rough or Smooth (timbre) Verse and Refrain ( form ) Major or Minor (scale)
What are the 12 elements of music?
- ELEMENT. Basic Related Terms.
- Rhythm: (beat, meter, tempo, syncopation)
- Dynamics: (forte, piano, [etc.],
- Melody: (pitch, theme, conjunct, disjunct)
- Harmony: (chord, progression, consonance, dissonance,
- Tone color: (register, range, instrumentation)
- Texture: (monophonic, homophonic, polyphonic,
What instrument plays this Example 5 37?
Calculate the Price
|The term controller refers to:||The device used to select pitch in an electronic instrument|
|The term concerto refers to a performer playing by her/himself.||False|
|What instrument plays this example? (1:43)||Harpsichord?|
|What instrument plays this example? ( 5: 37 )||Synthesizer|
What is a musical thought?
A phrase is a substantial musical thought, which ends with a musical punctuation called a cadence. Phrases are created in music through an interaction of melody, harmony, and rhythm. Terms such as sentence and verse have been adopted into the vocabulary of music from linguistic syntax.